Tuesday 5 March 2013

Always be a unicorn.

"Always be yourself, unless you can be a unicorn then always be a unicorn" - the motto of dreamy designer Sophia Webster that is most certainly reflected in her A/W 13 collection. The accessory exhibition was unveiled at London Fashion Week early Monday morning and for those lucky enough to get an invite, including bespoke shoe snow globe key ring, it gave them the opportunity to enter a world of pure fantasy. Well, with a name like "I'm a rainbow too" it was inevitably going to be the case! From unicorn horned tip to fashionably crafted toe, the collection's playful nature seems somewhat of a breath of fresh air from the uniform simplicity that rung true for so many other shows. 

Outrageous accessories including holographic unicorn, artist easel, and speech bubble bags took center stage at the exhibition and maintained Sophia's trade mark sugary sweetness. Her famous heels of course didn't disappoint. Cutout sides, metallic sheen, aztec patterns and the occasional pair of thigh high boots all proved why she's known for her innovative shoe designs. 

Pastel colours gave the scenes a wispy, water colour effect, reminiscent of a summer sunrise, that further presented the dreamy nature of the collection. The playful prints and textures aren't hard to identify as being inspired by "My Little Pony", however perhaps a more shocking stimulus is the 90s film Clueless. Maybe that's what drew me to the designs, that slight hint of yellow plaid that provides the nostalgic feel of my personal favourite film. The whole collection seems to bring out the playful, slightly childish side of fashion. I for one completely love it!















Thanks for reading, 
Bethany Paige X

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Such an interesting aspect for a collection -- designers are doing everything these days! haha :P Anyway, I don't know if you saw but I revealed my prom dress! Check it out :P http://studdedandstylish.blogspot.com/2013/02/prom-dress-reveal.html

    xo - Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy but that's why I love it haha!
      Ohhh I shall definitely go give it a read as soon as I can xx

      Delete