Sunday 6 October 2013

Money saver: Matte nails

The term "nail polish" can't really be used in the context of matte colours, I've always thought. After all, the nails aren't really polished at all because there's no shine. It's quite the beauty blogger conundrum! But, regardless of what you call them, matet nails are big this season.





(These pictures do not belong to me and were simply found on Google)

Everywhere I look online I seen matte nails, usually in black, grey or white. It's impossible to avoid them - Not that I would want to because, frankly, I think I have found my nail love of the season. If I bought all of the matte colours that I wanted to I would probably run myself to the point of being utterly broke. So, I set out on a mission to get the effect on a much smaller budget.

My attempts were rather fruitful and I've found a way to get matte nails and for free!

Here's what you'll need: 
Your average nail varnish in any colour
A kettle
A mixing bowl
A towel
The method is really, very simple: 
Firstly, boil your kettle with enough water to half fill the mixing bowl. Pour the water in once boiled and cover the bowl with the towel to stop as much steam escaping as possible. 
Next, paint one hand with its first coat, and as soon as its finished put your hand directly above the bowl, allowing the steam to hit your nails. Keeping a towel over your hand so that less steam escapes usually achieves a better finish, but make sure that your hand is far enough away from the water so that you don't get either a water or steam burn! We don't want any injuries, even if in the pursuit of perfect nails!
After the sheen from the nails seems to have gone, leaving them with a matte finish, allow them to dry until ready for a second coat. 
Apply the second coat and repeat the steaming step, before doing the same to hand number two. Wait for your nails to dry fully before showing them off!

The finished product? A set of beautifully, and extremely on trend, matte nails with no hit to your purse. It really works, I promise. 

Let me know if any of you try it out, 
Bethany Paige X

No comments:

Post a Comment